Cliteracy is an art project designed to educate and inspire people about the majesty of the clitoris. Sophia Wallace combines street art, sculpture, textiles and typography to educate and get people literate about the clitoris.
In a world where attention is scarce having projects that are both educational and entertaining – creating edutainment is often a great way of getting people’s attention.
She made an enormous gold statue of a the structure of the clitoris and set up a clit rodeo, where people rode this massive clit like a bull.
She also collaborated with several rap artists to create a rap battle of the clit vs. the penis.
One of her main projects is making posters of “the 100 natural laws of the clitoris.” She also posts some of this info as street art in New York City as if she was doing an advertising campaign for the clitoris.
Some of the points she is highlighting are around the anatomy of the clitoris. If you listen to our podcast regularly you may already be aware of many of the facts about the clitoris. It is awesome to see that most of the info Wallace is spreading through her art about the clitoris is information we regularly share on our podcasts. You are probably already more cliterate than the average person.
- Wallace mentions that in 1969 we put the man on the moon and in 1982 we invented the internet but it wasn’t until 1998 that we discovered the full anatomy of the clitoris.
- If you know the anatomy of the clitoris well it can take just 4 minutes to create orgasm, which is the time many women take to reach orgasm during masturbation.
- The small button like structure we think of when we think of the clitoris is not the whole deal! It is in fact more like an iceberg, with the tip being what we can see. The internal structure of the clitoris is about as big as the penis and goes deep within the body.
- The clitoris has 2-3 times the nerve endings of the penis. The clitoris is the anatomical equivalent of the penis. We know that it would be inconceivable to have a sexual experience for men without using the penis, so let us treat the clitoris in the same way and be sure to include it as an essential part of your lovemaking in every sexual encounter.
- As a visual artist she is also highlighting the shape of the anatomy of the clitoris which is kind of awesome to see, it’s like a wishbone but with bonus parts. The Huffington post made a video where they stopped people on the street to try and identify the penis’s and clitoral anatomy and everyone correctly identified the penis, and only one person out of many was able to identify the clitoris.
Check out the resources below and then have conversations with people in your life about the clitoris, and help make the world a more cliterate place!
Get Five Star Pleasure
Subscribe for one short email per week, with 5 pleasurable links to explore.